Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Sunday, October 07, 2007

I'm back.

Hi. Sorry I've been missing for a while. It's not that I never came here to try to put something together. I did. Several times. But what happened was that I was never happy with what I wrote. I have probably a dozen draft posts in various degrees of completion. Some are whimsical, some are serious, some are incoherent. But I was never happy enough with any of them to be willing to bite the bullet and press the "publish" button.

Just to give you an idea of what sorts of things I had started on:

> a post about sex. (but of course! and I bet you're wondering what I possibly could have written about sex and not been happy with. Sorry, but for now you'll just have to wait until I figure out how to write this with profundity and a lack of prurience.)

> modern artistic performances often dwarf the performers.

> does professionalizing an endeavor pervert it?

> is history just an ongoing struggle between the passive and the passionate?

> when is coercion a good thing? does it all depend on who is doing the coercing?

> do people walk differently in different places? is gait culturally determined?

> is religion a good thing or a bad thing? or is it religiosity, not religion, that's the problem?

> what are people doing when they camp out for a new iPod?

As I scan this list I see grist from some really good ruminations - some you might even be interested in reading (besides the one about sex, of course). But for now I'll just leave them to ferment a bit. My next post will be something completely different. Stay tuned!

Oh, and I do take requests.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice to see you back in bidness! I think you might be a little hard on yourself as far as what's publish-worthy, although I have several short essays of my own that, when I read them, I decide they're not worth putting out there.

I think professionalizing something makes people get better at it, but makes it dispassionate. In some ways I think it's the enemy of a real love for a thing.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home